Instruction and Departmental Research - Space Function code 001
- Instruction means the teaching and training activities of an institution.
- Instruction includes all teaching and training activities whether they are offered for credits toward a degree or certificate or on a non-credit basis, and whether they are offered through regular academic departments or separate divisions.
- Instruction, therefore, includes time spent by a graduate student working on their dissertation in University space (including lab space).
- Administrative time expended in support of Instruction responsibilities, such as grading papers, constitutes time spent on Instruction.
Instruction encompasses the following:
- General instruction
- Summer Session instruction
- Continuing Studies instruction
- Residential Education program
- Sponsored Instruction and training - Sponsored Instruction and training means specific instructional or training grant activity funded by an external sponsor such as the federal, state or local government or a commercial or non-profit agency.
Is all research development and scholarly activities that are not organized research (see definition below for Organized Research) and, consequently, are not separately budgeted and accounted for (ex. Non-proposal specific).